Nuclear energy is the best solution for scalable and reliable carbon-free power generation. We believe all energy sources are needed to meet the growing global demand for electricity, but the only carbon-free solution that can supplement base-load generation, such as natural gas and coal, during this long period of energy transition is nuclear energy.
Proven strategy combined with market tailwinds.
To support the aging infrastructure in place today, as well as any new builds planned for the future, there is a limited and fragmented set of equipment manufacturers and service providers in operation. The supply chain that supports nuclear power has been stagnant and lacking necessary investment to support the increases in activity now underway.
Pelican is well positioned to leverage our decade of success in the oilfield services sector as we expand into the nuclear sector. Nuclear energy service businesses are similarly sized and managed to oilfield service businesses, with similar needs from a capital partner.
We have been working with entrepreneurs for decades to professionalize back office systems, optimize supply chains, increase manufacturing capacity, fund working capital expansion, execute organic and inorganic growth strategies, and provide overall strategic guidance. Those same proven processes and skill sets are needed to grow the nuclear energy service sector as demand increases for this energy source.
Now is the time to invest.
Nuclear power plants previously expected to be decommissioned over the next decade are now either actively in the license extension process or soon to be to extended for another 20+ years. The license extension process is leading to increased investment in the existing nuclear fleet, creating a period where companies servicing these license extensions will see demand outstripping their ability to supply the necessary services. New nuclear power plant vendors are designing and actively developing needed projects both in the U.S. and globally to provide carbon neutral energy security for nations dependent upon foreign sources of energy.
As nations grapple with commitments to reduce their carbon footprint, they are met with the realities associated with other alternative sources of renewable energy, such as the high cost, lack of scalability, and intermittent nature of the energy source. Many are taking a fresh look at nuclear to provide stable, reliable, carbon neutral power generation at scale.
ACTIVE NUCLEAR units IN THE UNITED STATES
OF U.S. ELECTRICITY IS NUCLEAR GENERATED
OF U.S. CARBON-FREE ELECTRICITY IS NUCLEAR GENERATED
ACTIVE NUCLEAR PLANTS IN THE WORLD
We identify strong companies.
Pelican seeks profitable, established businesses with EBITDA generally between $1 million and $15 million annually, while we have the ability to consummate transactions with EBITDA up to $30+ million. We work well with entrepreneurial management teams that demonstrate competitive advantages in a well-defined market segment. Finally, we partner with companies respected by their customers for having fair and honest business practices aligned with our own core values:
- Safety: Lead by example
- Integrity: Always take the high road
- Excellence: Constantly learn, apply the lessons, and improve
- Humility: We are not perfect, no one is
- Fulfillment: Have fun. Enjoy what you do and make things better every day
Creative structuring and flexible deal making.
Each entrepreneur and company has a different reason to seek funding and different goals regarding recapitalization. In a dynamic industry, we have learned to be flexible and creative, structuring and successfully executing win-win deals for our investors and management teams in numerous scenarios:
- Acquire scaled businesses with identified opportunities for growth or profit improvement
- Implement conservative capital structures to reduce investment risk
- Identify and negotiate attractive buying opportunities
- Partner with entrepreneurs to drive scale and professionalization
- Provide growth capital and expertise to foster profitable and focused growth
- Identify innovative products that can disrupt the competitive landscape
- Partner with veteran management teams and organizations starting a new platform
- Provide balanced decision making between speed and cost efficiency
- Identifying and acquiring non-core businesses that have opportunity to improve withmore focus and direction
- Stand up businesses through complex transitions to new stand-alone enterprises
- Strategically partner with exceptional founders and entrepreneurs seeking to remain highly involved in business
- Represent minority recap opportunities with significant structural and economic protective provisions